Friday, January 25, 2008

Day 7 - the cup moved...

Today, Jack had the pleasure of staying home with Dad. I went to the office. Somehow, during Jack's nap, it seems that the cup protecting his ear came loose from the adhesive strips and was misaligned a bit. It didn't look like it would make it through a night of flip-flopping Jack-style, so I called Dr. Reinisch. I always feel bad calling a Dr. - especially on a Friday night. He was really awesome and said not to worry about calling at all - to please call if I am worried about anything. So, we agreed that we would try to replace the cup. Dr. Reinisch reminded me that it took three of us to get it all back on last time. Chris and I decided to try with just us and see if we could do it. If not, we would call a friend. Dr. Reinisch felt we might have to replace the entire stocking as they tend to get very stretched out when you remove them. We decided to see if we could just pull it up above his eyebrows and not take it completely off. Before we started, we offered a sucker in return for good behavior. We pulled the stocking up to his eyebrows and laid him down. Jack laid very still. He cried a bit - I think just because he was scared it would hurt. Dr. Reinisch just uses the adhesive strips on the bottom half of the cup so that it doesn't have any adhesive on the hair. As a result, the cup came off fairly easily. We took some pictures, but they are a little blurry, so I am not going to post them. His ear is very swollen, but still looks pretty good. We applied the new cup and pulled the stocking back down. It looks to be fine - not too stretched out. I have also cut a little hole in the stocking one side around his temple for the BAHA. This allows his BAHA to connect with his head so he can wear it a little to the side. It was leaving a big red mark in the front and was bothering him. We have been putting drops in Jack's ear to keep the sponge moist. This is a bit of a challenge as we have to poke the drop bottle through the hole in the cup. Since I can't really see where the drops are going very well, I just squeeze several in there in various directions and hope that some of it is hitting the sponge. So, while we had all the gear off, I put some drops on the sponge for sure.

So, here is a picture of him after all that. He is just a pretty happy boy!

No comments: