Sunday, January 20, 2008

Day 2 - Jack is Back

Yes, Jack is back. That is the good news and the bad news! I need a bull horn with a recording of "SLOW DOWN! NO RUNNING!" Sheesh! I am also wondering if the anesthesiologist turned him into a 12 year old - this morning when I was hollering, "No running," he hollered back, "I KNOW, I KNOW!" as he slowed to a jog...

So, let me re-wind a little. The first night in the hotel, Jack slept pretty good. He was restless off and on, and running a little bit of a fever. Of course, I didn't bring a thermometer... He does not like the Tylenol with codeine *yucko* but will take it when bribed with 5 jelly beans for successful consumption. I didn't bring a thermometer, but I did bring the bribes! He seemed to feel better after taking that. I don't know if someone made a mistake, but when we filled the prescription for that stuff, we were given a PINT of it! Holy cow, we will save that for all future surgeries for everyone in the family and will still have some left over. Anyway, the back of his head seems to also be quite sore. The Tylenol helped with that.

When he got up *at 5 am* we watched some movies and he walked around a bit. He was a bit perplexed with all his new head gear and the drains took some getting used to. He kept telling me he wanted it off. He was generally sluggish, but ate some applesauce and easy mac for breakfast (his pick) and seemed to be feeling okay. Here is a picture from the morning after surgery...



We showered and packed up and headed back to Sacramento at about 10. I am grateful that Chris' mom stayed with us, I don't know how I would have done all that by myself. Jack slept most of the way home. He was glad to be home and was eagerly inspected by the siblings with everyone relieved that he is okay. Here he is eating dinner.



In the evening, Jack was running a fever again (about 101F), so we traded jelly beans for Tylenol/codeine again. I took cold medicine and we went to bed about 8pm. Jack and Chris have traded spots until we know Jack will sleep through the night without trouble. He often wakes up and starts pulling on everything. He is relatively easily settled, but was up last night from about 2-4am with a low grade fever. I gave him some regular Tylenol about 3 and that seemed to help.

So, this morning, our little Jack is back. He is happy and bouncy and talking up a storm. He does look like he was in a boxing match now (see picture). We were warned about this and know it is normal. It doesn't seem to bother him, except that he keeps trying to rub his eye to get it to open a little more. Since he was feeling good, we all went to church this morning and he did great. The drains have little bulbs to collect the fluids and they are kind of disturbing to Carter, so I put a short sleeve shirt on Jack and put the drains outside of that and then put a sweater on top of that. This seems to work well as they don't get caught on things as much and Jack doesn't mess with them. I will be glad when they come out.

Here he is today with his boxing look...



So far, no fever today, so I am relieved. If he had a fever again, I was probably going to call the Dr.

More soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This last picture says it all. What a trooper with such a genuine smile! He is precious!

Hope you guys are catching up on your sleep now.

Janice

Miles' parents said...

Oh my, all of this brings back such memories! Glad to hear he's doing so well. I'll be continuing to keep you all in my prayers.