Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Day 18 - Trip to CEI

Today, Jack and I went back down to Palo Alto to see Dr. Roberson and Dr. Colen again. I understand that Dr. Roberson asked us to come down a day early because there was concern over the yellow gauze that we couldn't remove. I was a little worried that he saw something of concern in the pictures that I have been e-mailing. So, I was glad to hear that everything still looks good. He said there was a bit of debris in the canal and that was normal. We agreed to come back down next Wednesday and he said he will take most of the packing out at that time. Then we will be able to tell a lot more about the hearing.

I asked him about pre-school and going back to a normal routine. I think it is safe to say that Jack and I are tired of so much together-ness... I am ready to get back to our normal routine. So, he said that he feels that things are pretty well healed at about 3 weeks. That is this Friday - Yipppee! I already feel guilty for letting him ride his little scooter around the house... His ear still looks very fragile to me, though. I think we will probably try to keep the cup on for an extra week (Dr. Reinisch is saying to leave it off after this week) and let Jack go back to preschool in the mornings only. They don't go outside in the morning and everything is more calm. Then, back to normal the next week.

We took the cup and dressing off again - more hysteria - more bribery. One thing that I have not written about is the sore spot that the top of the cup has created. I will try to post a picture soon. It really looks awful and very sore. Dr. Roberson and I discussed it. He explained that the blood flow to the skin is compromised because of the membrane harvested from under the scalp. We unknowingly had his BAHA softband on the top of the cup the first week and probably exhasperated the trauma to this spot. I have seen this on other blogs, but Jack's spot is really the worst I have seen. Dr. Roberson modified the cup, cutting out a little wedge so that there is nothing touching his head where it is so sore. This will allow it to heal, though I can tell this will take a long time.

I forgot to ask about washing his hair and had to call from the car on my way home. Dr. Roberson asked us to wait until next week. This is just not the same as a Medpor ear reconstruction without the ear canal. I know we would have washed his head and given him a bath by now if not for the ear canal. Good thing its not summer or we would have one stinky, grubby boy on our hands.

Anyway, I know that several people knew we were headed to Palo Alto today and I wanted to post a little update.

All for now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonja,
Jack's ear is looking great. Thanks for keeping everyone updated via your blog. I am glad to hear he is doing so well.
Simone