Sunday, February 03, 2008

Day 16 - Dressing Change

Pictures of Jack's healing ear below...

Jack continues to do well. This week, he went to his speech pre-school two days. I stayed with him once and he went and stayed by himself on Friday. The teachers have remarked that he is talking a lot more. I notice that he is placing consonents at the end of words spontaneously. Specifically, he is putting "s" on the end of plurals. The "s" sound is very soft and hard for him to hear, so a big thing to get that on the end of a word! He is also a lot more conversational. Instead of just stating what he wants, he is telling me more about things he notices. For instance, he will tell me, "Mommy, look, a big truck!" Then, when I say that I see it, he will say, "I like that big truck!" And then, as we pass it by, he will say, "Bye, big truck!" It is fun to see the shift. I always wonder if it is related to better hearing...

So, today, we changed his "hat." While he was eating a fruit snack, I took off the netting while he sat in Chris' lap. I let him just sit like that for a while. Then, I started pulling off the gauze padding little by little and he mostly didn't notice what I was doing. The yellow gauze protecting his skin graft is supposed to just come loose. Though it does not seem to be painful, it is still very much stuck to his head. So, I just trimmed the edges and we just left it on. Here is a picture of the skin graft site:



Then, I got some finger nail polish (acetone) and dipped a q-tip in it. I slowly started rolling the q-tip down where the cup was adhered to his skin and sure enough, it started coming off. As long as I went really slow, it came off relatively easily. Jack was definitely not happy about it, but he was not hysterical like he was the last time. We put bactiricin on his ear, replaced the cup with a new, clean one and put a new stocking on his head. He definitely prefers to have his ear covered.

So, here are pictures of his ear today:

It seems that the swelling is going down and it looks a little better every time we take the cup off.


No comments: