Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Surgery 2 - Day 18 - dressing change

Jack's sock has been getting loose and Dr. Reinisch had recommended that we change the cup today or tomorrow, so we did this tonight.

This is getting SO much easier. I am better at it and Jack is more patient. So, I removed the cup and dressings.

Here is his ear before I cleaned it:














There is a small sore spot on his skin graft site. I put some bacitricin on it. I cleaned his ear with Q-tips and peroxide and got a lot of crusty stuff off. There is some tan colored skin that is peeling off and the skin underneath looks really good. The dark spot below his ear canal looks like if I peeled the crust off that it would bleed. So, that was left in place and the whole ear was covered in bacitricin ointment.

I replaced the cup with the cutout at the top and put the sock back on. Seemed like I did all that in no time flat!

The left ear has pulled in quite a bit, but overall, it is looking good.

Here are some pictures:


















Oh, and lastly, we had some canine adventures this weekend too. Moxie, who has been systematically chewing up everything in sight, stepped on something and cut the pad on her paw on Sunday. Of course, on Monday morning, it would still bleed profusely if not bandaged, so she had to go to the vet hospital for surgery to stitch it up. Of course, this happens on a holiday, which was not cheap! And this is our SPCA rescue dog! The only bright spot in all of this is that I might go get a year's supply of those plastic collars. They are very effective in preventing her from chewing on her paw, but they also prevent chewing on everything else! Why didn't I think of that SOONER!!!!

Her she is in all her misery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jack's ears are looking great. We can't wait to see you all.
LOVE,
Don and Roseann