Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Transition and Super Dad




Nov 21

Well, yesterday was an exciting day for us and clearly a terrifying day for one little boy. At the orphanage, the director told us that she knew Jack was our son because he came to me and was not crying when I held him (of course, I had the food). He really didn’t want to have anything to do with Chris, but he was stuck to me like Velcro. By the end of the day, my back was killing me and I was covered in slobber (I think a clear sign of a happy mother?). He finally gave in to sleep on my chest after a long cry and then we let him sleep between us for the rest of the night. He just seemed so scared.

Today is definitely better. This morning, he let Chris feed him his morning bottle (without me next to him). Though he is two, we think he is accustomed to 3 bottles a day. This is good for us as it provides a nice time to bond with him. So I actually got to take a shower without my Velcro. We then headed to the Registrar’s office to complete the adoption registration. After this paperwork, the adoption is final. He is just going to have to get used to us now – he is stuck with us!

After the adoption registration, we took a walk to the People’s Park. Right now in Chengdu, the Chrysanthemum Festival is going on. There are flowers everywhere and the People’s Park is really pretty. There were some signs everywhere that had peculiar English translations that we got a kick out of. There were many people in the park doing dances, exercising, playing games at tables and walking through the park. We really enjoyed our time at the park and bought some cool souvenirs at a more “local” stand. Us carrying Jack around generates a lot of interest, so we show people the note our guide has given us explaining why we have him and everyone gives us the “thumbs up.” So, by this time my back was really killing me as Jack won’t let Chris carry him without making a complete scene. So, I talked Chris into taking a rickshaw back to the hotel. If you hear in the news that a rickshaw driver had a heart attack after pedaling two Americans in Chengdu, China, I am afraid we are to blame. Poor guy, we gave him a workout!

So, when we get back to the hotel, Jack is very tired and still terrified to go to sleep. Super Dad to the rescue! Chris stuck it out with Jack and got him to sleep IN THE CRIB! Chris then encouraged me to get a massage to help with my back (oh, and I think he took a nap with Jack, so don’t think he is too generous). I went down to get a massage and I can tell you that it is hard to convey to the Chinese beauty salon that you want a back massage when you don’t speak Chinese! I got a neck and head massage instead and it felt good, though my back is really no better. Oh well.

So after all this, Jack wakes up a happy boy. He ran over to me from across the room smiling this afternoon and is right now sitting on the bed eating some strange Chinese crackers that are both sweet and salty. The notary came to our hotel room and notarized all of our registration paperwork (while I fed Jack the Chinese version of ramen noodles with chopsticks on the bed). I thought that was all kind of weird. We paid him and now we are done with all of our paperwork here in Chengdu. We just have to wait now for the official copy of the adoption certificate and then we are off to Guangzhou.

This evening, our guide Sandy, took us to a local Chinese restaurant. At this place you can order small samplings of several different kinds of dishes. They were all very good and many were very spicy. Sandy let us just dig in and one of the dishes Chris and I both liked happened to be cow stomach. Sandy got a big laugh out of this. I have to say if she had asked beforehand, I would have declined and it was actually pretty good.

After dinner, we went to the local opera. The show was wonderful and Jack enjoyed it as much as us. The colorful costumes were mesmerizing to him and I think he heard the music as it was quite loud.

So, Jack is finally asleep in his crib after a long, hard cry. He cries and cries and almost falls asleep and then looks around and realizes where he is and launches off again. I think falling asleep is just especially scary for him. Overall he did much better today and even gave us several smiles. He walked around the room and stood in the bathroom this evening while I took a shower. He has been carrying this light up toy that we gave him non-stop and is even sleeping with it now. He is so happy that he has figured out how to push the button by himself. Anyway, better today and better tomorrow I am sure.

I am off to bed, it is late here. Darby, Carter and Jaden, we miss you much and can’t wait to be home!

Sonja

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been keeping up with your updates on the website. Loving all pictures and can't wait to hear more when you return and see baby Jack!
Trevor & Trisha