Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Out With Security and Off We Go!

First things first. When we first decided to use this blog, we thought there was a good chance that no one would be home when we were gone. Thinking it would not be such a good idea to leave home and publish a blog with all our travel plans, I kept our names and such out of the blog. Since Grandma and Grandpa W are staying at our house with the kids - and this format is driving me CRACKERS - I officially quit being security conscious as of today!

So, Chris and I are sitting in the Sacramento airport - on our way to Beijing - after a teary-eyed goodbye. I slept maybe 20 full minutes last night as I fretted over all the things I might have forgotten to pack and might have to find in a Chinese Wal-Mart. Darby and Carter got up at the crack of dawn to ride to the airport with us (their choice). Grandpa is now tasked with making it home so that he can get them safely to school on time. Darby was a bit weepy - making me a bit weepy. We will certainly miss the kids while we are gone...

We are also thinking about a little boy half a world away who in a few short days will have his whole world turned upside down. We are praying that he (Jack, not Chris) will be filled with bravery the day we meet him and take him away from everything he has ever known. He has never had a family, never had a mommy to sing him a goodnight song, never had a Daddy to hold his hand tight. Soon he will have all this and it will likely be a bit terrifying! So, keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we embark on this journey to help this little guy make the transition into our family!

Sonja

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, an update first thing this morning. It was great, an I'm glad you are no longer feeling "crakers" Sonja - at least about the security thing anyway! :)

Enjoy your trip. You guys are great parents, and I know once you meet the little guy, an instant connection will be formed and it will make all the changes ahead a lot easier on him.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you at the airport on your return and looking forward to reading about your adventures...
Deb

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris and Sonja Congrats and good luck on your trip. Wishing you all the best. Jeff and I will be on here daily checking on you guys. Your in our thoughts and prayers Good Luck!

Sue And Jeff Yates

Anonymous said...

Your blog will be the busiest place on the internet for the next two weeks!

Wishing you guys a safe and healthy journey - and a big dose of bravery for both Chris and Jack!

jackson5

Anonymous said...

made it home with a stop for muffins at Starbucks. Making pies tonight with GM.
gp and darb

Anonymous said...

san francisco airport found your blackberry. they are shipping it here in the am
Luck is on your side
GP

Anonymous said...

HI There - I am friend of Christy's from Michigan. Lots of prayers going up for you for a safe trip and a wonderful homecoming with Jack!

Ruth

Chris said...

How exciting! I will be sure to check the blog daily now! The last time I checked was Halloween, so boy, what a surprise to find you @ the airport! I'm sending many prayers for a safe and wonderful journey. The kids will have a blast w/Grandma & Grandpa back in CA. By the way, Robo's in Asia these days! Not China, though. I'll be sure to let him know that you guys are on your way! Many things to be thankful for this year...

Anonymous said...

I was relieved to see you made your destination. I check your blog every am for updates. Little brother is going to having many mommy's and daddy's when he arrives in the states. Stay safe and can't wait to see you when you get home. Bonnie